Dr. Kane & Associates, P.C. Special Services
Good circulation in the foot indicates good circulation in the rest of the body. Bad circulation in the foot indicates bad circulation elsewhere including the heart. We are able to give a good determination of blood flow in the foot and toes. This baseline with Doppler ultrasound can be limb saving, to life saving especially in diabetics. Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) is not to be ignored.
Consideration of testing would include the following:
- Do you have foot, calf, buttock, hip or thigh discomfort (aching, fatigue, tingling, cramping or pain) when you walk which is relieved by rest?
- Do you experience any pain at rest in your lower leg(s) or feet?
- Do you experience foot or toe pain that often disturbs your sleep?
- Are your toes or feet pale, discolored or bluish?
- Do you have skin wounds or ulcers on you feet or toes that are slow to heal (8-12 weeks)?
- Has your doctor ever told you that you have diminished or absent pedal (foot) pulses?
- Have you suffered a severe injury to the leg(s) or feet?
- Do you have an infection of the leg(s) or feet that may be gangrenous (black skin tissue)?
View and Print: Do I Need A Test For PAD?
Do Orthotics Help Flat Feet?
In youngsters, orthotics are very beneficial. As feet grow and with orthotics, you can see on X-ray how the arches have adapted. Young feet are somewhat moldable. In addition, the orthotic will make the patient more comfortable by supporting the joints that have adapted to the individual foot type. Being more comfortable will allow you to do more over a longer timeframe.
The incidence of skin cancer in the foot has skyrocketed over the past 10 years. Pigmented lesions, even if present your entire life can become cancerous. The lesions can be biopsied in the office under a local anesthetic. Even rashes or other skin conditions can be better diagnosed with a simple punch biopsy. Please ask for further information or evaluation.
We are among the first private practices to utilize digital X-rays in our office. These are definitely more effective in details than traditional films. Greater detail gives you a better diagnosis and is able to find bone changes in your feet.
Many conditions of the foot, either inherited or acquired, can be treated with the use of an orthotic. These devices can be over the counter type to give simple support and less strain during our daily lives. Custom-made orthotics are effective for more severe problems both in the young growing child and to seniors. Other more severe conditions may require a custom brace with an orthotic built into the brace.
Are Orthotics Covered By Insurance?
Many current insurance contracts do cover biomechanical orthotics. If not covered, there are options including over the counter type orthotics. Biomechanical orthotics can be purchased for a set fee, which includes casting both feet, obtaining measurement for a custom correction as well as making sure the orthotics are resolving or correcting your particular problem(s).